Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hello. My name is Allison. And I am a Locavore.

Over this recent year I have unintentionally fallen into a way of life, a culture, if you will, of sustainability. My partner works for a non-profit organization that works to save and protect the habitats of trout and salmon in the United States. I, on the other hand, have been working with sustainable seafood and organic, fair-trade produce at the fine dining restaurant where I cook. These influences have resulted in me taking on a fascination with sustainability and the importance of buying in-season, local, and organic produce. It has made me into a locavore.

I, along with my partner, try to consume only produce that is grown locally and of course, in season. The result of doing so supports local farmers from monstrous corporate farms, decreases pollution from transportation of the produce, and protects the land from being harmed and becoming unfarmable (along with other more in-depth factors).

Many books and articles have been released this year that discuss the impacts and precautions consumers should take to protect their land and support their local farms. Some such books are “The Ethical Gourmet” and “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver. These books are extremely helpful to anyone who wishes to eat better and smarter. Vote with your fork; buy locally; be a locavore

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home