Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Casper the friendly eggplant



The first time I saw white eggplant I was working at my current restaurant that gets tons of weird organic fun produce. It was the day I also saw purple rain eggplant. Both these eggplants are cool looking and yummy.

Eggplants are related to the tomato and potato. It originally came from southern India and got introduced to the Mediterranean by people from Saudi Arabia. We now refer to it as “eggplant” because some fruits in the 18th century from European cultivators were yellow or white...resembling goose eggs.

The white eggplant is traditional, white skinned, and oval shaped. It has two types: Casper and Easter egg. I felt the one I had gotten in N.J. was more of a Casper than an Easter egg.

Eggplant is grown and sold mostly by China but if you can get it seasonally and locally, which is very possible, try to do that. And when you eat it, it will most likely decrease your cholesterol, as it has been proven effective.

While you can cook eggplant all kinds of ways, I like to either grill mine or do a kind of eggplant parmesan and dip it in egg yolk then cover it with breadcrumbs and put them in the oven for twenty minutes until they get soft and deeeeeeelicous.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home