Sunday, October 28, 2007

"Coming Home to Eat"

A weekend free of writing assignments, recipe making and practicing, laundry, and grocery shopping had suddenly come upon me. My girlfriend was out of town and the house would be lonely this weekend. So with a swift change of plans (so unlike me), I jumped out of work early on that Friday and headed north on 95 to my home away from home; New Jersey.

It's nice to go home a lone sometimes. I quickly remembered the comforts and distresses that made my body relax as soon as I walked in the door. My dad's special dish of the day; whatever room my parents were remodeling; and my brother's obnoxiously large black and sticker full truck in the drive way, and of course,the dog....Coby!

The pleasures of coming home to eat are, much like author Gary Paul Nabhan says, rewarding and heartfelt. I can't remember the time I had Swedish meatballs with a nice Robert Mondavi or went out to dinner with my parents...alone.

Between giving Coby a run and driving to pick up farm fresh eggs I realized I couldn't wait to be back home for Thanksgiving.

Cheers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home