Friday, November 9, 2007

Burrata: Leek wrapped lusciousness

I found it. I finally found it.

A few weeks ago the Washington Post had done an article in their food section about the demand and emergence of a cheese. A cheese called burrata was apparently in high demand in the metropolitan area from chefs, cheese makers, and snobby foodies. Its name is burrata.

A fresh Italian cheese, the name comes from the Italian word for butter, is made from mozzarella. Burrata was first made in the town of Andria where its milk had been taken from the water buffalo (a gift from Asia in the 1400s). The outer layer is solid mozzarella while the inside contains cream. For preservation it is then wrapped in leek leaves to retain freshness. If the leaves go bad then the cheese is bad.

I was off with friends at a restaurant just outside of D.C. when I came across it on the metro. Ecstatic I explained to everyone that they would be having burrata as appetizers. Luckily they trusted me and a plate of burrata with oven roasted cherry tomatoes, olive oil, fennel shavings, and chopped red onions were scattered around it like backup dancers to a star. The first cut gave way to a creamy inside so luscious I could taste it in my mouth. I could eat burrata all day long. And you would have too since it's only good for two days.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home